Sunday, January 21, 2007

Under His Care


He found him in a desert land, and in the howling waste of a wilderness; He encircled him, He cared for him, He guarded him as the pupil of His eye. Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, that hovers over its young, He spread His wings and caught them, He carried them on His pinions. Deuteronomy 32:10-11

We live in a world that can leave us feeling unloved, uncared for, and neglected. In the midst of loss, pain, heartache, depravation, loneliness, rejection, and unmet needs, where or who do we turn to? This morning my mind reflects on friends who are presently experiencing the harsh realities of life. A dear friend buried a much loved cat last night. For some that would be a small thing but her loss brings an ache. Other friends face cancer, multiple sclerosis, infertility, divorce, death of loved ones, unemployment, depression, separation, and regret. They all need a safe place for their hearts.

In this passage I see a tender picture of God as He cares for each of us. The verbs alone speak volumes to me. It is in the storms of life that shelter is sought. And it is in the desert lands and howling waste of the wilderness that we need a refuge in which to hide. God is inviting each one of us to close our eyes and picture ourselves as the eaglet in this passage. He wants us to drink in the truth that He is the One who longs to encircle, care for, guard, hover over, catch, and carry us. He wants to protect, nourish, and sustain us much like a mother eagle with her young.

This passage spoke volumes to me last night. I needed to see it and have it minister to me specifically. For once again God was reminding me that running to the wrong sources to get my needs met will leave me with empty arms and an aching heart. If I look to anyone or anything besides Him to give me significance, affirmation, acceptance, approval, or unconditional, unlimited love then I am setting myself up for disappointment. It is in the midst of my disappointment or loss that He calls me to come to Him. For He longs to give me what others cannot.

May others learn to do what I am doing this morning. I am putting my name in this verse and reveling in the thought that God’s tenderness and care are directed toward me.

Father, I once again look to You as my life source. May I experience all the ramifications of being under Your care. Amen.