Monday, January 15, 2007

No More Double Payments


All of us like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; but the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all to fall on Him. Isaiah 53:6

I never had the experience of watching someone else take a spanking in my place as a child. I well remember the fear that gripped me as I awaited the inevitable. I can only imagine the relief that would have been mine had a sibling stepped forward and said, “I’ll take the punishment for you.” At the same time it would have changed something in me to see him experience pain I deserved.

I can think of a number of times a replacement would have been welcomed ~ sentences to write, recesses lost, speeding tickets to pay, consequences of unwise choices, etc…. I think of countless prisoners who would be amazed if someone could and would take their place in prison. Or if a person on death row had someone to take their place.

These are just earthly situations but if they happened it would be astounding. How much more I marvel over God causing my sin to fall on Jesus at the cross. He not only took the punishment, He took the blame for it all. But do I live as if that is true? The answer is yes if after I confess my sin to Him I walk in the freedom and realization of His forgiveness. But the answer is no if I continue to self condemn, carry guilt, and live with remorse and regret. And the answer is no if I do that to others in their sin and ill treatment of me.

I am not allowed to carry and hold on to anything that He already took upon Himself at the cross. Otherwise I am like the creditor who continues to demand payment for something that has already been paid in full.

When I am wronged or when I do wrong, may God help me to see that it has been paid for. Christ already bore it on the cross. May I release it to Him so I can once again walk with the freedom and joy He desires for me.

Father, show me when I am carrying the very things Jesus already carried. May those things no longer get paid for twice. Amen.