Monday, January 15, 2007

Seeing My Own Blindness


The scribes and the Pharisees were watching Him closely to see if He healed on the Sabbath, so that they might find reason to accuse Him. Luke 6:7

What we are looking for and expecting to find is what we will usually end up seeing. If we have suspicious thoughts, the actions of another person will (unknown to them) be interpreted according to our preconceived ideas. Many times, our own way of thinking blinds us to the truth of ourselves, others, and even God.

The scribes and Pharisees were masters at looking for ways to criticize Jesus and eventually have reason to put Him to death. They were driven by hatred, jealousy, and self righteousness. A miracle could be right in front of their faces and all they could see was their interpretation of the law being broken. A proof of Jesus’ deity was seen as one more reason to condemn and reject Him. No wonder Jesus referred to them as blind guides. The very ones who should have recognized Him because of their history with Scripture were missing Him completely.

This morning I am reminded of a time not long ago when I lived with a blindness due to my own mindset. I had a very narrow view of God and an even more restricted view of His working in other people’s lives. Bible versions, music preferences, denominational choices, selective interpretation of Scripture, and numerous other issues became my criteria for how I judged my own and other people’s walk with God. Within that “box” I chose to live, I found a lot of emptiness, judgmental attitudes, and an indescribable distance from a God I barely knew. It wasn’t until I became desperate enough to know God that I could see the truth of my own blindness. The changes abound!

If Jesus lived among those who eyed Him with suspicion and condemnation, I can be sure I will too. It is imperative then that I continue to walk in the truth and allow God to define my Christian life for me.

Father, there is a blindness that only You can heal. For some it is because they don’t know Christ. For others it is in spite of the fact that they know Christ. Peel away any layers that still limit my vision of You. Amen.