Monday, January 15, 2007

Speaking From the Heart


For his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart. Luke 6:45 NASB

For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. Luke 6:45 NIV

For of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. Luke 6:45 KJV

Our heart (the seat of our emotions, feelings, and motives) can be filled, overflowing, and abundant with many things. Luke reminds me this morning that the contents of my heart will be revealed in the things I say and the way I say them. If I listen long enough to the speech of another individual I can begin to detect what is in their heart. I am not talking about sporadic conversation here and there but rather the theme of their words over a long period of time. Our words are like an ex-ray machine that expose the condition of our heart. The things I fill my mind with, the values I treasure in my heart, and those things I hold dearest in life are the very things I will spend the most time talking about.

So often, we as Christians have no trouble identifying bad language, cursing, and swearing as indications of a heart problem. But God wants us to realize negative talk, gossip, lying, bragging, people bashing, and even words filled with worry, despair, and disbelief reveal what’s in a heart as well. Whereas a heart full of praise, gratitude, respect, and godliness will also be seen in what comes out of our mouth.

David knew the connection of his heart and mouth so well that he prayed that the words of his mouth and the meditation of his heart would be acceptable to God. He also asked God to set a watch over his mouth to guard what was being said.

So how does a person fill their heart with the right things? By guarding the things they see, hear, read, and think about. For the heart is filled up with the things we feed upon, spend the most time doing, and what we are passionate about. Change what you are taking in and it will begin to have an effect on what is being “treasured up” in your heart. And if you are like me, you will find there are certain areas you struggle to master because you are so drawn to them. In that case, it is imperative that we ask God to change the appetite of our heart.

Father, may You show me any area that needs to change in my heart as well as in my conversations. May I not legitimize, excuse, or hold tightly anything You disclose to me that needs to be discarded. Amen.