Monday, January 15, 2007

Not Everyone Will See It


But the synagogue official, indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, began saying to the crowd in response, “There are six days in which work should be done; so come during them and get healed, and not on the Sabbath day.” Luke 13:14 (New American Standard Bible)

A woman has just been healed of a horrible 18 year spirit inflicted ailment in which she could not stand straight up. What should have been a time of rejoicing and praising God for such a miracle quickly turned to indignation by a synagogue official. Many of Jesus’ miracles were met with the same anger and disapproval by the church leaders of that day. The very ones, who should have been the most in tune with who Jesus was, opposed Him at every turn. Not only did they try to discredit Him but they often attempted to shame or attack the ones He healed.

A man who was blind from birth was healed by Jesus and the result was that he was put out of the synagogue. In our day we would call that being excommunicated. After Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead the religious leaders sought to have Lazarus put to death because they were so enraged over Jesus’ miraculous works. Again I am struck by the fact that this came from church leaders!

I can’t help but think of times in history when heinous things were done in the name of religion. The Spanish Inquisition comes to mind. Even in the early days of our nation’s history when we were but 13 colonies, many of the colonies had religious freedom that was only available if the people came into conformity with the “state church” so to speak. That was the very reason many of them left England to begin with.

Two and a half years ago I saw first hand what it was like to come against the acceptable and expected standards of a church. Up until that point I would have told you I had never experienced attacks of any kind from within the body of Christ. I never knew what it was like to have my walk with God come into question by the very ones I worshiped with. I have since learned there are times we may be called upon to actually choose Christ over a church. Was it comfortable? No! But I am here to tell you it was necessary in order grow into a more intimate, personal relationship with my heavenly Father. Not only was it necessary, it was worth it!

Father, not everyone will understand Your work in my life. You have given me what others cannot take away. I follow You! Amen.