Monday, January 15, 2007

Not Meant to be Duplicated


Tremble, O earth, before the Lord, before the God of Jacob, Who turned the rock into a pool of water, the flint into a fountain of water. Psalm 114:7,8

Mention the word “change” to people and it can conjure up many thoughts in their minds. If the change is for good we love it! But if the change is uncomfortable we cringe. That is usually because we are looking at the effect of the change and how it makes us feel rather than the bigger picture of God’s involvement in our life. Change comes when we realize these things are happening for us rather than to us.

Today’s verse made me realize a number of truths in regards to God’s involvement in my life. God stands poised with unique provisions for my quandaries. There were many times in the wilderness when God’s people had no choice but to turn to Him for help. The lack of water caused thirst. The thirst cause them to cry out. Their cry for help caused God to act! He brought water from a rock! Twice! Not just a trickle but a gushing stream. When hungry, He blanketed the ground with manna for forty years. When entering and leaving the wilderness He provided a dry path through large bodies of water. His power was displayed not limited by their situations.

But I am also realizing how seldom God duplicates His acts of provision and kindness. His provision of water from a rock was not duplicated in later years. It was for that time alone. It is imperative that I see He operates the same way in my life. At one time, my husband and I taught in Christian schools. That was God’s way of providing for our financial needs. While our employment has changed, God’s ability to provide has not! At one time, God allowed me to be mentored by an incredible person. What happened? God knew it was time to be nudged out of her nest and for me to learn to find my security, growth, and faith in Him. God is not locked into a system whereby He cannot altar my friendships, employment, comfort zones, health, or anything else that affects my internal or external world. If I fail to see the changes are from Him, I will stunt my own spiritual growth, fail to experience relationship with Him, and miss what He graciously wants to give to me. It is time to trust Him!

Father, I keep looking for duplicate acts and You keep showing me You have better plans. Thank you for the faithful and unique provisions of the past, present, and future. I trust Your ways above my own! Amen.