Monday, January 15, 2007

Some Listened and Some Walked Away


O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those sent to her? How often I wanted to gather your children together, just as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not have it! Luke 13:34

Closed hearts. Disinterested responses. Refusal to listen. Resistance to the truth. Of all the people Jesus spoke to and came into contact with during His three year ministry in this world, how many came to know Him as their personal Savior? I dare say the percentage that walked away from Him outnumbered those who embraced Him. Fewer listened and took His messages in than received His words for themselves. If this was the case when Jesus was standing among them, face to face, it should not surprise me when the same thing happens today. I have often been encouraged by Jesus’ conversations with people. Here are a few things I have learned from Him.

He allowed people to approach Him with questions. When He gave answers, He allowed them the freedom to accept what He said or to walk away from Him. He used no high pressure, arm twisting tactics. I often wonder what happened to those people after they left Him. Did they go home, digest His words, and later return to Him? It is seldom that people respond the first time they hear the Gospel. May God bring to our minds the number of times it took for us to hear and then respond to Him.

Jesus knew how to personalize His message with each person. To Nicodemus He spoke of rebirth. To the woman at the well He spoke of living water. To the rich young ruler He spoke of sacrifice. To His adversaries He spoke of heart issues. I too must ask God to give me discernment and variety when I am talking to individuals about Him. Often I have found that during a conversation certain thoughts will come to mind. I am learning to simply open my mouth and share what God is giving me at that moment.

Jesus desired people to come to Him but left the choice with them. I too must realize the choice is theirs. I am simply a vessel God can use in the process of someone coming to know Him. The bottom line is that God is always the One who tends to their hearts. I simply sow the seeds.

Father, You never gave up on me. Help me to not give up on the ones with whom I tell about You. Your desire lives in me! Amen.